Police search properties linked to Mandelson over Epstein investigation

Richard WheelerPolitical reporter
Getty Images Split screen of Peter Mandelson and two plain clothes policeman arriving at one the addresses linked to him in LondonGetty Images
Officers arrived at one of the addresses linked to Lord Mandelson in central London

Two properties linked to Peter Mandelson in Wiltshire and north London have been searched following allegations of misconduct in public office, the Metropolitan Police has said.

The force launched an investigation into the ex-Labour minister on Tuesday after suggestions he passed on market-sensitive government information to convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

In a statement, the Metropolitan Police said: "He has not been arrested and enquiries are ongoing."

Lord Mandelson has not responded to requests for comment but the BBC understands his position is that he has not acted in any way criminally and that he was not motivated by financial gain.

He has previously expressed his regret for his continued association with Epstein and apologised "unequivocally to the women and the girls who suffered".

The BBC understands Lord Mandelson, 72, was at his address near Camden when police began the search.

Officers were seen briefly searching a car outside the property before returning inside and leaving the building carrying several boxes.

Lord Mandelson was able to arrange for police to enter the Wiltshire address without force.

Police entered the property carrying unfolded archive boxes and also investigating outhouses.

Watch: Police carry out searches at properties linked to Mandelson

Accusations that Lord Mandelson, as a government minister, leaked information to Epstein came after the US Department of Justice released a tranche of documents including emails to and from the US financier.

Messages from 2008 appear to show Lord Mandelson - who was at the time business secretary in Gordon Brown's government - discussing Treasury plans for a one-off tax on bankers' bonuses with Epstein.

Two days after Lord Mandelson and Epstein exchanged emails about the bankers' bonus policy, the documents suggest they had further conversations about the plan.

An email from Epstein asks if "jamie" should call then-Chancellor Alistair Darling "one more time".

That appears to be a reference to Jamie Dimon, who was chief executive of US banking giant JP Morgan at the time.

Lord Mandelson appears to have replied to Epstein saying he should call the chancellor again, before suggesting he should "mildly threaten" him.

Other emails indicate that Lord Mandelson gave advanced notice to Epstein of a €500bn bailout from the EU to save the Euro.

The UK did not contribute to the bailout, but Mr Darling was present in Brussels for the negotiations.

After the police launched their investigation, a UK government spokesperson said: "The government stands ready to provide whatever support and assistance the police need."

The offence of misconduct in public office often applies to those in public service roles such as civil servants or police officers and carries a maximum sentence of life imprisonment.

In practice, sentences rarely exceed 10 years imprisonment, according to the Law Commission.

'Incredible misjudgement'

On Wednesday, in the face of a threatened rebellion by Labour MPs, Downing Street promised to release documents relating to its appointment of Lord Mandelson as the UK's ambassador to the US.

The BBC has been told that the number of documents, which covers all electronic communications, could be close to 100,000.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer in a letter to the Intelligence and Security Committee on Friday warned a "very significant volume of material" will likely need to be reviewed but said it is important that the documents are made available to Parliament "as soon as possible".

Publication of the files could take some time after the government asked to withhold some of the material for national security reasons and the Metropolitan Police made a similar request to reduce any interference with its criminal investigation.

Sir Keir has previously apologised to Epstein's victims saying he was "sorry for having believed Mandelson's lies".

Former Prime Minister Brown said he "greatly regrets" appointing Mandelson in his government.

"As I digest the details of what has emerged, I also find it hard to find words to express my revulsion at what has been uncovered about Epstein and his impact on our politics," he wrote in the Guardian on Friday.

Brown added that he takes "personal responsibility" for Lord Mandelson's appointment but said he was informed that his record was "unblemished" and there were "no reports of a relationship with anyone named Epstein".

Labour MPs have publicly and privately been expressing their anger at the alleged actions of Lord Mandelson but also at the prime minister for having appointed him as the UK's ambassador.

Liverpool Riverside MP Kim Johnson told BBC Radio Merseyside Sir Keir had handled the situation "appallingly" and he should "consider resigning".

Brian Leishman, MP for Alloa and Grangemouth, told the BBC Sir Keir had "shown an incredible misjudgement in appointing Lord Mandelson and it goes beyond saying sorry".

"Has his judgment been good enough for that office? I think the answer is a categorical no," he added.

Stroud MP Simon Opher said the prime minister "needs to change his advisers in Number 10".

He suggested chief of staff Morgan McSweeney, who was close to Lord Mandelson, should go over the scandal.

Conservative leader Kemi Badenoch has said Sir Keir's position was "untenable" and called for a vote of no confidence.

On Sunday, Lord Mandelson quit the Labour party and three days later retired from the House of Lords.


Trending Now