Council agrees to compromise on Art Deco bus shelter

Zoe ApplegateNorfolk
Jack Maclean/BBC Sheringham bus shelter. It is a brick building with a flat roof built in an art deco style. There is a mural of a train on the inside. There is a bicycle leaning against the front of the shelter. There are three people inside. They are gathered on the left hand side. Behind and beside the shelter there is wire fencing and orange-and-white barriers.Jack Maclean/BBC
Campaigners staged a nine-day protest last year to prevent the Art Deco bus shelter in Sheringham from being knocked down

A compromise to save part of an Art Deco bus shelter while pressing ahead with widening a footpath due to safety concerns has been backed by a council.

Sheringham residents successfully campaigned to save the 1950s structure, which faced demolition as part of safety and transport plans.

On Tuesday, Sheringham Town Council agreed to support a revised design for Norfolk County Council's Otterndorf Green project, with the town clerk saying it "wanted to find a way forward".

North Norfolk District councillor Liz Withington, who had been part of the original protest to keep the structure, said the decision was "obviously very disappointing, but equally frustrating as well".

Jack Maclean/BBC The Sheringham bus shelter which has a painted mural of a train inside of it.Jack Maclean/BBC
The shelter, close to the North Norfolk Railway, currently features steam train-themed artwork by local artist Colin Seal

The shelter, on Station Approach, was due to be knocked down in December as part of plans for a new Otterndorf Green transport hub, but a sit-in protest prevented it from being bulldozed.

Sheringham Town Council then withdrew its support for the demolition proposal at an emergency meeting.

Prime Minister Sir Keir Starmer also weighed in, saying he was "not surprised" local people had strong views on the issue.

Under the revised plan, the shelter could be cut in half to preserve its distinctive curve while allowing the footpath in the immediate area to be widened.

Following the meeting, town clerk Michelle Barron said: "There are people really passionate about the bus shelter and there are people that really want to see it go and want the scheme to continue.

"The important thing about this compromise - and the Save Our Shelter campaign has been involved in these discussions and they're happy - is it means we get to keep some of the heritage.

"But it is really important we can widen the pavement, which is what Norfolk County Council needs to continue with the scheme."

Barron added the Otterndorf Green area - where the current shelter is located - was a building site and buses were not stopping there, meaning it was "affecting the wider community".

"Most people just want to see a solution," she said.

A group of people in thick coats and hats stand outside the bus shelter which has been fenced off
People are still having to use an alternative bus shelter to the one in Station Approach, where campaigners protested last year

Liberal Democrat councillor Withington, who attended the meeting, said not everyone from the Save Our Shelter campaign agreed with the compromise.

She said the plan "continues to reflect the failings of the whole project".

"Last night's discussions were focused entirely on one design option of cutting the shelter in half - leaving a back wall and small overhang - which doesn't reflect the cultural aspect.

"It doesn't address the major safety issues in the area."

A group of people sit in portable chairs inside a bus shelter with a mural of a steam train on the wall.
Protesters set up camp inside the bus shelter in Station Approach

Norfolk County councillor Graham Plant, Conservative cabinet member for highways, transport and infrastructure, said: "The bus shelter and adjacent land is owned by the town council and they are now deciding what they wish to do with their site."

He said discussions with the town council were continuing.

Follow Norfolk news on BBC Sounds, Facebook, Instagram and X.


Trending Now