New town support letter 'not in line' with views

Kaleigh WattersonCheshire political reporter
BBC Residents protesting and holding signs against the proposed new townBBC
A number of protests have been held against the plans for a proposed new town

The leaders of a council facing calls to resign over a controversial new town say a letter where they initially indicated support was "not in line" with the council's views or planning policies.

Adlington in Cheshire East is one of 12 areas proposed for a new town, but the scheme has been controversial and led to protests in the area and outside council meetings.

Leader Nick Mannion and deputy Michael Gorman sent a letter to the New Town Task Force last June to "reaffirm" their support for the new town proposals.

In a statement, they said they had both publicly apologised and supported a motion opposing the proposal, and "made it clear the letter did not reflect a formal council decision".

Opposition councillors have called for the two leaders to resign over the letter with one councillor saying there should have been "proper scrutiny" and "proper transparency" before it was sent.

The council voted to formally oppose the plans at a full council meeting in December and a letter was sent to the government.

Cheshire East Council Cheshire East deputy leader Michael Gorman and Cheshire East leader Nick MannionCheshire East Council
Michael Gorman (left) and Nick Mannion (right) said they had both publicly apologised for the letter

Sir Michael Lyons, chair of the New Towns Taskforce, told a session of the Housing, Communities and Local Government Committee last month that authorities in each area where a new town was put forward were contacted.

"In that case Adlington responded by letter, signed by the leader and the deputy leader, saying they were [in support].

"I think we felt that was safe enough at this stage for us to put the proposition forward to government for consideration," he said.

The leaders said Sir Michael "may not have had knowledge of the clear position" on the Adlington plans because a letter from the council opposing the scheme was sent after the New Towns Task Force was wound-up.

'Fully represented'

The two leaders said that "any implied (or inferred) support" in the letter in June was "not in line with the wider membership's views, nor within the council's established planning policies".

"The full council has now confirmed its collective and definitive position opposing the Adlington New Town proposal," they said.

An assessment of all 12 areas put forward to become new towns is currently under way by the government.

The leaders said that if the government decides to "progress the proposal further", the council will "continue to ensure that local communities' views are fully represented and that all impacts are scrutinised thoroughly".

Opposition councillors have put forward a motion calling for the two leaders to resign, to be discussed at a full council meeting on Wednesday.

See more Cheshire stories from the BBC and follow BBC North West on X. For more local politics coverage, BBC Politics North West is on BBC One on Sunday at 10:00am and on BBC iPlayer.

Related internet links

Trending Now