Man in 80s dies, three taken to hospital after bus crash

Hayley Halpinand
Gabija Gataveckaite,BBC News NI Dublin correspondent
PA Media A white double decker bus with the front window smashed, parked behind a white Dublin Fire Brigade sheet. There is a fire engine and a garda car parked beside it. PA Media
The incident involved a Bus Éireann vehicle

A man in his 80s has died and three others are in hospital following a bus crash in Dublin city centre.

The Bus Éireann operated vehicle is believed to have driven onto a pedestrianised street - North Earl Street, not far from O'Connell Street.

A number of people were trapped under the bus and emergency services had to rescue pedestrians. One of those in hospital is understood to have significant injuries.

Bus Éireann said they are offering full support to the authorities as their "investigations continue and will provide any additional assistance required".

Emergency services have now left the scene in Dublin city centre, but Gardaí (Irish police) remain and have cordoned off the area which is right beside the capital's famous Spire.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second man, aged in his 20s, is being treated in hospital for serious but non-life-threatening injuries.

The driver of the bus, a woman in her 50s, and a female pedestrian in her 30s are being treated in hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

PA Media A road in Dublin City Centre with a Dublin Fire Brigade truck parked across the road. A number of emergency service personnel are standing in front of the truck. The Spire is visible in the background. There are stores on either side of the road. PA Media
Emergency services attended the scene in Dublin city centre

Restrictions are in place around the scene, which has been preserved for examination, and local traffic and pedestrian diversions are in place.

Jean O'Sullivan, CEO of Bus Éireann, said the company are "profoundly saddened by this tragic incident".

"On behalf of everyone at Bus Éireann, I extend our deepest condolences to the family of the deceased, and our thoughts are with all those affected at this very difficult time."

Speaking in Dáil Éireann (lower house of parliament) on Thursday afternoon, Justice Minister Jim O'Callaghan said his thoughts were with the family of the person who had been killed.

A spokesperson for the bus operator said the "vehicle was not in service at the time of the incident".

"Emergency services and Bus Éireann personnel attended the scene. Bus Éireann is offering its full support to the relevant authorities and will provide any additional assistance required," the spokesperson said.

Dublin Fire Brigade asked people to avoid the area.

Luas Green Line services have been suspended between Parnell Street and St Stephen's Green following the incident.

A map showing the location of the crash in relation to other parts of central Dublin. Custom House is to the bottom of the image, with Connolly Station just to the north east. North Earl Street - where the crash happened - is to the left of the image.

Speaking at the scene, Dublin Lord Mayor Ray McAdam offered his condolences to the family of the victim, adding: "My thoughts and prayers to the three injured and their families as well."

"I think Dubliners are shell-shocked, saddened by what has happened, in what is an awfully distressing incident. There is already a palpable sense of grief," he said.

Dublin Lord Mayor Ray McAdam, wearing his chain of office, a blue shirt, navy tie and navy jacket. He is also wearing glasses.
Dublin Lord Mayor Ray McAdam says people in Dublin are "shell-shocked" by the incident

Sinn Féin leader and Dublin Central TD Mary Lou McDonald said she was "devastated to learn of this terrible incident in the heart of our city".

"My thoughts are with the family of the deceased and all of the people who were struck or caught up in this collision, with their families, friends, and loved ones, and with everyone affected by what must be a very frightening experience," McDonald said.

Social Democrats TD for Dublin Central Gary Gannon said his thoughts were with the victims and their loved ones.

"This is a shocking and tragic incident which has rocked our community. I wish all those who are injured a speedy recovery," Gannon said.

"For those in the city, please avoid the area and give emergency services the room to work. It's essential during this time to follow guidance through official channels and reliable news sources."


Trending Now