Boy, 15, arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after teacher injured at school
Pembrokeshire HeraldA 15-year-old boy has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a teacher was injured at a school.
Dyfed-Powys Police said officers were called to Milford Haven Comprehensive School in Pembrokeshire at about 15:20 GMT on Thursday.
Supt Chris Neve said they were responding to reports of the assault of a teacher by a pupil brandishing a weapon.
"The teacher's injury is not a stab injury. A lockdown was implemented but has now been lifted," he said.
The teacher has since been discharged, police said.
Wales First Minister Eluned Morgan said "violence of any kind has no place in our schools".
"All pupils at the location were safe, and all returned home unharmed," said Supt Neve.
He added that police had left the school, and that the 15-year-old boy was in police custody.
"Parents and guardians will continue to receive any future updates directly through the school app.
"You will see a higher than usual police presence in the area over the coming days – these will be dedicated patrols to provide further reassurance to those living in and attending school in the area," he added.
Jon Harvey, leader of Pembrokeshire council, thanked staff and pupils for "implementing a swift and effective lockdown".
He added that the school would be closed on Friday, but that help would be available for those requiring additional support.
After school events were cancelled on Thursday.
Pembrokeshire HeraldA Welsh Ambulance Service spokesperson said they were called to the scene on Thursday afternoon and one patient was transported to hospital.
Morgan, who visited the school last week, said her thoughts were with the injured teacher, their family and the entire school community, adding her government would support all those affected.
Mid and South Pembrokeshire MP Henry Tufnell said he was "very grateful to the school staff and our emergency services for their swift response in ensuring the safety of pupils and colleagues".
He described the local area as a "really close community".
Following the incident, Matt Wrack, the general secretary of the NASUWT teachers' union, said schools "should be places of safety and learning - not fear and violence".
"We will be standing by to offer all the support we can," he said.
